Who said eating healthy has to be boring?! Truth is – eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring and bland. It is possible to eat the foods you love while, at the same time, consuming a healthy diet. Here are some tips for sustainable eating:
- Prioritize plants: fill half your plate with fruits and veggies – not only is this a great way to fill your plate with essential vitamins and minerals, but it is also a great way to fill you up since fruits and veggies are high in fiber.
- Choose lean protein: protein is the only nutrient that can repair, build, and maintain body tissues. An adequate supply of protein in the daily diet is essential. Protein also helps keep you full longer. Some healthy protein options include – chicken, fish, turkey & non meat options such as dairy products, nuts, and dark leafy greens.
- Choose healthy carbs and fats: the fact that carbohydrates and fats are bad for you is a MYTH.
- Carbohydrates are our main fuel source and can help with memory, focus, recovery, & aid in digestion.
- Fat is a source of essential fatty acids, which the body cannot make itself. It helps the body absorb vitamin A, D, and E. These vitamins can only be absorbed with the help of healthy fats.
- Examples of healthy carbohydrates include: quinoa, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, legumes, sweet potatoes bananas, etc.
- Healthy fat examples include: olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, fatty fish, etc.
Hope your mouth watered a bit seeing this yummy sea bass and salmon dinner! 😊
-Meghan Ruhl — Dietitian/Nutrition Coach